Tanzania - Southeastern Tanzania (PDF Chapter)
This is the Southeastern Tanzania chapter from Lonely Planet’s Tanzania guidebook.
For safari enthusiasts and divers, and for adventurous travellers seeking to learn about traditional local life, the southeast makes an ideal destination. Among the highlights: Selous Game Reserve, with its top-notch wildlife watching; and white-sand beaches and stunning corals around Mafia island.
- boating down the Rufiji, wildlife watching and birding in Selous Game Reserve
- dive amid idyllic sandbanks and islets in the Mafia Archipelago
- explore traces of bygone days at the old Swahili trading town of Mikindani
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Mafia, Selous Game Reserve, Kilwa Masoko, Kilwa Kisiwani, Songo Mnara, Kilwa Kivinje, Songo Songo, Lindi, Mtwara, Mikindani, Mnazi Bay-Ruvuma Estuary Marine Park, and Makonde Plateau & Around.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation