Tanzania - Northern Tanzania (PDF Chapter)
This is the Northern Tanzania chapter from Lonely Planet’s Tanzania guidebook.
Mt Kilimanjaro and the Serengeti plains are merely starting points to so many journeys of a lifetime. Mt Meru is Kilimanjaro’s rival, while the Crater Highlands rank among Africa’s most haunting landscapes. When it comes to wildlife, Northern Tanzania boasts Tarangire’s elephant kingdom, Lake Manyara’s tree-climbing.
- witness one of the most epic wildlife shows ever in the Serengeti National Park
- descend into a lost world of wildlife in Ngorongoro Crater
- experience stunning views of Ol Doinyo Lengai volcano at Lake Natron
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Northern Safari Circuit, Arusha, Arusha National Park, Mt Meru, Tarangire National Park, Manyara Ranch Conservancy, Mto wa Mbu, Lake Manyara National Park, Karatu, Lake Eyasi, Ngorongoro Crater, The Crater Highlands, Lake Natron, Oldupai Gorge & Western Ngorongoro, Serengeti National Park, Kilimanjaro Area, Moshi, Machame, Marangu, Mt Kilimanjaro National Park, and West Kilimanjaro.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation