Tanzania - Dar Es Salaam (PDF Chapter)
This is the Dar es Salaam chapter from Lonely Planet’s Tanzania guidebook.
Over the last century, Dar es Salaam has grown from a sleepy fishing village into a thriving metropolis. With bustling markets, restaurants and sandy beaches, travellers who linger will encounter the city’s eclectic cultural mix and languid vibe.
- shop for wonderfully wacky, upcycled souvenirs at the Wonder Workshop
- Join hardworking locals living it up at the city’s main weekend beach hang-out, Coco Beach
- head out to Mbudya and Bongoyo for snorkelling and picnics on pristine offshore islands
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sights, Activities, Festivals & Events, Sleeping, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Northern Beaches, Offshore Islands, and Southern Beaches.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation