Tanzania - Central Tanzania (PDF Chapter)
This is the Central Tanzania chapter from Lonely Planet’s Tanzania guidebook.
Central Tanzania lies well off most tourist itineraries and that’s just the way we like it. Exceptional and enigmatic, the Unesco World Heritage–listed Kondoa Rock-Art Sites are the region’s premier attraction. And then there’s Dodoma, an intriguing relic of nationalist ambition with interesting architecture and the region’s best facilities.
- visit a mysterious Unesco World Heritage–listed attraction and have it all to yourself at the Kondoa Rock-Art Sites
- get to know the Barabaig, Sandawe and other traditional tribes of Central Tanzania on a cultural tour out of Babati or Kondoa
- summit (and sleep atop overnight) Tanzania’s seldom-climbed fourth-highest peak, Mt Hanang
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Dodoma, Kondoa Rock-Art Sites, Babati, Mt Hanang, and Singida.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation