Taiwan - Western Taiwan (PDF Chapter)
This is the Western Taiwan chapter from Lonely Planet’s Taiwan guidebook.
If you’re looking for variety in your Taiwan travel experience, go west. The Mazu Pilgrimage, one of the country’s biggest and holiest celebrations, is definitely a highlight. Head to Yushan National Park to climb the highest peak in Northeast Asia.
- visit graceful Longshan Temple, grazing your way through Lukang’s winding streets, and end your day with a coffee in an old house
- enjoy Taichung’s excellent museums, stroll in lovely urban parks, have great ice cream, and party at hidden dives into the wee hours
- seek the spiritual at the legendary Mazu Pilgrimage, which starts in Dajia
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Yushan National Park, Taichung, Dasyueshan Forest Recreation Area, Alishan National Scenic Area, Alishan Forest Recreation Area, Chiayi, Changhua, Lukang, Nantou County, Cingjing, Hehuanshan Forest Recreation Area, Jiji, Sun Moon Lake.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation