Taiwan - Eastern Taiwan & Taroko National Park (PDF Chapter)
This is the Eastern Taiwan & Taroko National Park chapter from Lonely Planet’s Taiwan guidebook.
It was sightings of the east that led the Portuguese to call Taiwan Ilha Formosa, meaning ‘Beautiful Isle’. Steep ridges of thickly forested mountains rise from the Pacific in wave after wave, often leaving only a narrow strip of oceanside land.
- get beyond the tour-bus viewpoints in Taroko Gorge, Taiwan’s most celebrated area of spectacular canyonland
- zigzag up past a monastery viewpoint, through thick woodlands and onto rolling upland fields that blaze orange with blooming lilies in August on Sixty Stone Mountain
- meander through Chishang’s rice fields and lakesides on gentle, bucolic cycle rides
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Taroko National Park, Hualien, Central East Coast, Fengbin, Shihtiping, Chenggong, Dulan, East Rift Valley, Ruisui, Yuli, Chishang, Luye, Taitung, Chihpen, Green Island, Lanyu.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.