Tahiti & French Polynesia - The Australs & the Gambier Archipelago (PDF Chapter)
This is the Australs & the Gambier Archipelago chapter from Lonely Planet’s Tahiti & French Polynesia guidebook.
The pristine Austral Islands are arguably French Polynesia’s most underrated destination. The climate here is temperate, but everything else befits a tropical paradise. Less history with Europeans and less influx from the outside world has preserved this islands’ culture.
- explore the surreal limestone cave of Ana Aeo on Rurutu
- motu-hop in the radiant Raivavae lagoon and picnic on idyllic Motu Piscine
- scale Mt Taita and feast your eyes on 360-degree views of the lagoon
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: The Australs, Rurutu, Tubuai, Raivavae, Rimatara, Taravai, Aukena, Akamarau, the Gambier Archipelago and Mangareva.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.