Switzerland - Valais (PDF Chapter)
This is the Valais chapter from Lonely Planet’s Switzerland guidebook.
Valais is a natural beauty. Her tale is of rags to riches, of changing seasons and celebrities, of an outdoors so fantastic it’s always fashionable. Wedged in a remote corner of southern Switzerland, this is where farmers were so poor they didn’t have two francs to rub together a century ago and where luminaries flock today to sip champagne cocktails in posh Verbier nightclubs.
- feast on a traditional autumnal banquet and Pinot noir in gourmet Sion
- take Europe’s highest-altitude cable car, all the while never taking your eyes off the bewitching Matterhorn
- melt over views of 4000m peaks soaring above the never-ending Aletsch Glacier
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Lower Valais, Martigny & around, Verbier, Sion & around, Sierre, Salgesch, Crans-Montana, Val d’Anniviers, Upper Valais, Leukerbad, Visp, Zermatt, Saas Fee, Brig, Aletsch Glacier.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.