Switzerland - Ticino (PDF Chapter)
This is the Ticino chapter from Lonely Planet’s Switzerland guidebook.
The summer air is rich and hot in Ticino. Vespas scoot along palm-fringed promenades. A baroque campanile chimes. Kids play in piazzas flanked by pastel-coloured mansions. Italian weather. Italian style. And that’s not to mention the Italian gelato, Italian pasta, Italian architecture, Italian language.
- roam the trio of medieval forts in Bellinzona for top-of-the-beanstalk views of the Old Town and the Alps
- see rippling mountains and Lago di Lugano reflecting like a great mirror from the summit of Monte Brè
- chug along a long valley, bounded by mountain beyond snow-dusted mountain, to Italy via spectacular tunnels, gorges and viaducts on the Centovalli Railway
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Bellinzona, Lugano, Lago di Lugano, Gandria, Cam-pione d’Italia, Morcote, Mendrisio & Around, Meride, Lago Maggiore, Locarno, Ascona, Western Valleys, Valle Maggia, Centovalli.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation