*Cannot be combined with other offers. No code necessary - automatically added at checkout. See terms.
St Petersburg - Vasilyevsky Island (PDF Chapter)
This is the Vasilyevsky Island chapter from Lonely Planet's St Petersburg guidebook.
Vasilyevsky Island's eastern edge was originally to be the city's administrative heart, but today it is largely residential, with several busy shopping streets. The western edge is more empty and industrial, but houses the new Erarta Museum of Contemporary Art, the main reason to visit.
- taking in one of the best views of the city from the historic Strelka, the spit of land that crowns Vasilyevsky Island and boasts flaming rostral columns during national holidays.
- exploring Peter the Great’s private collection of anatomical oddities at the ghoulish Kunstkamera
- checking out St Petersburg’s best modern-art museum, the huge Erarta Museum of Contemporary Art, where you’ll see Russian works from the late Soviet and post-Soviet era
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment and Shopping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Mix and match on hundreds of guidebooks, ebooks and thousands of digital chapters.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.