St Petersburg - Vasilyevsky Island (PDF Chapter)
This is the Vasilyevsky Island chapter from Lonely Planet’s St Petersburg guide-book.
This large, triangular island is among the oldest neighbourhoods in St Petersburg. Crammed with classical buildings housing excellent museums such as the Kunstkamera and Menshikov Palace, this is the best place to start your exploration of the island.
- take in one of the best views of the city from Strelka, the historic spit of land that crowns Vasilyevsky Island and boasts flaming Rostral Columns during national holidays
- explore Peter the Great’s ghoulish collection of anatomical oddities as well as other ethno-graphic curiosities at Kunstkamera
- check out St Petersburg’s best modern art museum, Erarta Museum of Contemporary Art, with a huge collection of Russian works from the late Soviet and post-Soviet era
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.