*Cannot be combined with other offers. No code necessary - automatically added at checkout. See terms.
St Petersburg - Day Trips from St Petersburg (PDF Chapter)
This is the Day Trips from St Petersburg chapter from Lonely Planet's St Petersburg guidebook.
Want to escape the city? This chapter includes the very best excursions from St Petersburg - and they can all be completed in a day. Must-sees include Tsarskoe Selo's Catherine Palace and Peterhof's Grand Palace.
- The most popular day trip from St Petersburg is to Peter the Great's spectacular summer palace and grounds in Peterhof, on the Gulf of Finland, easily reached by hydrofoil from outside the Hermitage.
- Pushkin and Pavlovsk – with two beautiful palaces and grounds next door to one another, this is a great day trip to see the summer palaces of Catherine the Great and Tsar Paul I.
- The leafy park at Gatchina is one of the wildest and most beautiful of all the tsarist palace grounds, while the huge palace itself is a fascinating place to explore, even boasting an underground tunnel.
- In Oranienbaum is Prince Menshikov's vast estate, which has some truly lovely gardens and is a great place to wander, especially since a recent renovation has brought the Great Palace back to its former glory.
Coverage includes: Peterhof, Pushkin & Pavlovsk, Gatchina and Oranienbaum.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Mix and match on hundreds of guidebooks, ebooks and thousands of digital chapters.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.