St Petersburg - Day Trips from St Petersburg (PDF Chapter)
This is the Day Trips from St Petersburg chapter from Lonely Planet’s St Peters-burg guidebook.
Want to escape the city? This chapter includes the very best excursions from St Petersburg and they can each be completed in a day. Must-sees include Peterhof and Pushkin & Pav-lovsk.
- the most popular day trip from St Petersburg is to Peter the Great’s spectacular summer palace and grounds on the Gulf of Finland, easily reached from central St Petersburg by hydrofoil from outside the Admiralty
- Tsarskoe Selo (in the town of Pushkin) and Pavlovsk are two beautiful palaces and grounds next door to one another. This is a great day trip to see the summer palaces of Catherine the Great and Paul I
- situated on the Gulf of Finland, this appealing town is features a medieval castle and an abundance of art-nouveau buildings. An easy day trip from St Petersburg, Vyborg offers enough for longer stays
- part of Finland in the mid-20th-century, this village has long back in Russian hands and makes for a pleasant, outdoorsy day trip from St Petersburg
- closed to foreigners until 1996, Kronshtadt’s offering of history, cruises and naval might makes for a fascinating day trip destination
Coverage includes: Peterhof, Pushkin & Pavlovsk, Vyborg, Repino, Kronshtadt.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.