Sri Lanka - The Ancient Cities (PDF Chapter)
Crumbling temples, lost cities and sacred Buddhist sites are the reason to head to the coun-try’s cultural heartland. Besides the amazing ruins, save time for the national parks, which teem with elephants and outstanding birdlife, and at least one off-the-beaten-track temple.
- feel utterly humbled by the epic scale of the former capital of Anuradhapura, Abhayagiri Dagoba
- scale the great rock of Sigiriya for epic views, outstanding murals and intriguing ruins
- admire the exquisite carved temples and Buddhas at the fascinating ruins of the former Sinhalese stronghold of Polonnaruwa
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Matale, Nalanda Gedige, Dambulla, Sigiriya, Habara-na, Polonnaruwa, Giritale, Minneriya & Kaudulla National Parks, Ritigala, Anuradhapura, Mi-hintale, Yapahuwa Rock Fortress, Panduwasnuwara, Ridi Vihara, Kurunegala.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.