Southwest USA's Best Trips - Arizona Trips (PDF Chapter)
This is the Arizona Trips chapter from Lonely Planet’s Southwest USA’s Best Trips guidebook.
Arizona is made for roadrunners. The sixth-largest state in the Union is not only blessed with jaw-dropping landscapes, its excellent road network holds some iconic stretches of tarmac, linking towns, forests, canyons and waterways that demand exploration.
- watch the gunfight at the OK Corral, the explore the Queen Mine
- pick the right route with inspirational images and key trip highlights
- Follow the Colorado River on its course from Glen Canyon Dam
- get around easily with colour maps and route directions in easy stages
- Cowboy up in Wickenburg, enjoy views in Jerome, then applaud the Grand Canyon
- discover even more with walking tours, detours and ways to link your trips
Coverage includes: Tucson, Gates Pass Scenic Overlook, Old Tucson Studios, Fairbank Historic Site, Boothill Graveyard, Tombstone, Queen Mine Tour, Lavender Pit, Chiricahua National Monument, Bisbee, Glen Canyon Dam & Lake Powell, Page, Horseshoe Bend, Marble Canyon, Lees Ferry, Lees Ferry Lodge, Vermillion Cliffs, Jacob Lake, Grand Canyon Lodge, the Wave, Widforss Trail, Point Imperial, Cape Royal, Wickenburg, Vulture Mine Road, Prescott, Thumb Butte, Phippen Museum, Jerome, Audrey Headframe Park & Jerome State Historic Park, Tuzigoot National Monument, Cottonwood, Sedona, Red Rock Country Visitor Center, Flagstaff, Tusayan, Mather Point & Grand Canyon Visitor Center, Grand Canyon Village, Desert View Drive, Tonto Natural Bridge State Park, Payson, Mogollon Rim Visitor Center Show Low, Mogollon Rim Interpretive Trail #615, Snowflake, Fort Apache National Historic Park, Becker Butte Lookout, Boyce Thompson Arboretum, Superstition Mountain Museum, Lost Dutchman State Park, Saguaro National Park (West), Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Sonoita & Elgin, Patagonia, Tumacacori National Historical Park, Titan Missile Museum, Mission San Xavier del Bac, Kitt Peak National Observatory, Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, Oak Creek Vista, Slide Rock State Park, Oak Creek Visitor Center, Uptown Sedona, Tlaquepaque Village, Red Rock Loop Road, Palatki & Honanki Heritage Sites, Page Springs Cellars, V-Bar-V Heritage Site, Village of Oak Creek, Yuma, Pause-Rest-Worship Church, Castle Dome Mine, Quartzsite Bill Williams National Wildlife Refuge, Lake Havasu City , Bullhead City, Laughlin, Valley Of Fire State Park, Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, Phoenix, Montezuma Castle National Monument, Walnut Canyon National Monument, Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument , Wupatki National Monument, Tuba City & Moenkopi, Hopi Nation, Navajo National Monument, Canyon de Chelly National Monument, Scottsdale
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation