Southern Italy - Understand Southern Italy and Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)
This chapter contains the History, The Southern Way of Life, The Mafia, Art & Architecture, Directory A–Z, Transport, and Language chapters from Lonely Planet’s Southern Italy guidebook.
All the info you need on everything from history, art and architecture to flights, public transport, climate, money, the internet... you name it. Get tips for women travellers, gay and les-bian travellers, travellers with disabilities, and travellers with kids. And get the most out of your conversations with a handy language guide and glossary.
- a rundown on Italy’s proud and gregarious meridionali (southerners) and their way of life
- info on the incestuous emperors, scheming popes and delusional dictator of Italy’s dra-matic history
- full coverage of Italy’s art and architecture, from pagan temples to contemporary state-ments
- details on drugs, people smuggling and bloody vendettas: the world of the Mafia
Coverage includes: History, The Southern Way of Life, The Mafia, Art & Architecture, Directory A–Z, Transport, and Language.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation