Southern Italy - Sicily (PDF Chapter)
This is the Sicily chapter from Lonely Planet’s Southern Italy guidebook.
More of a sugar-spiked espresso than a milky cappuccino, Sicily rewards visitors with an in-tense, bittersweet experience. Overloaded with art treasures and natural beauty, undersupplied with infrastructure, and continuously struggling against Mafia-driven corruption, Sicily’s complex-ities sometimes seem unfathomable.
- join the ranks of impeccably dressed opera-goers at elegant Teatro Massimo in Paler-mo
- bargain with fish vendors at dawn, climb Europe’s most active volcano in the afternoon, and return to buzzing nightlife in Catania
- marvel at the majesty of Segesta’s 5th-century ruins, whose Doric temple sits in splendid isolation on a windswept hillside
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Palermo & Around, Tyrrhenian Coast, Cefalù, Aeolian Islands, Lipari, Vulcano, Salina, Stromboli, Ionian Coast, Taormina, Catania, Mt Etna, Southeast-ern Sicily, Syracuse, Noto, Modica, Ragusa, Central Sicily & the Mediterranean Coast, Agrigento, Western Sicily, Marsala, Selinunte, Trapani, Erice, Segesta.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.