Southern Italy - Puglia, Basilicata & Calabria (PDF Chapter)
This is the Puglia, Basilicata & Calabria chapter from Lonely Planet’s Southern Ita-ly guidebook.
The region comprising Puglia, Basilicata and Calabria is where you can witness the so-called Mezzogiorno (southern Italy) in all its intensity. This is a land of drying washing on weather-worn balconies, speeding scooters and dilapidated centro storicos (historic centres).
- marvel at the contrast between miserable caves and soaring cathedrals in the ancient city of Matera
- learn to love the flowery excesses of Lecce baroque architecture
- eat the best of the Mediterranean diet in Valle d’Itria’s gorgeous hilltowns
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Puglia, Bari & Around, Promontorio del Gargano, Isole Tremiti, Valle d’Itria, Salento, Basilicata, Matera, Metaponto, Potenza, Appennino Lucano, Veno-sa, Basilicata’s Western Coast, Calabria, Northern Tyrrhenian Coast, Cosenza, Parco Nazionale della Sila, Ionian Coast, Parco Nazionale dell’Aspromonte, Reggio di Calabria, Southern Tyrrhe-nian Coast.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.