Southern Italy - Puglia, Basilicata & Calabria (PDF Chapter)
This is the Puglia, Basilicata & Calabria chapter from Lonely Planet’s Southern Italy guide-book.
The Italian boot’s heel (Puglia), instep (Basilicata) and toe (Calabria) are where southern Italy shows all its throbbing intensity. Long stereotyped as the poorer, more passionate cousins of Ita-ly’s sophisticated northerners, these regions are finally being appreciated for their true rich-ness.
- marvel at the contrast between miserable caves and soaring cathedrals in ancient Ma-tera
- learn to love the ornate excesses of Lecce’s baroque architecture
- eat the best of Mediterranean cuisine in the Valle d’Itria’s gorgeous hill towns
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Puglia, Bari & Around, Promontorio del Gargano, Isole Tremiti, Valle d’Itria, Salento, Basilicata, Matera, Appennino Lucano, Maratea, Calabria, Northern Tyrrhenian Coast, Cosenza, Parco Nazionale della Sila, Ionian Coast, Parco Nazionale dell’Aspromonte, Reggio Calabria, Southern Tyrrhenian Coast.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation