Southeast Asia on a Shoestring - Myanmar (Burma) (PDF Chapter)
This is the Myanmar (Burma) chapter from Lonely Planet’s Southeast Asia on a Shoe-string guidebook.
Now is the time to visit this extraordinary, little-known land, dotted with golden pagodas and monasteries, where the traditional ways of Asia endure. Myanmar is fizzing with a new, hopeful energy, but it remains a unique, magical place still unused to mass tourism.
- be dazzled by the country’s most important Buddhist temple, Shwedagon Paya, and the buzz of Yangon
- spend longer than you planned at Inle Lake, a magical landscape of floating villages, stilt-ed monasteries and aquatic gardens
- witness the beauty of a misty dawn breaking over 4000 Buddhist temples from the upper terraces of one of the paya (temples) at Bagan
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Yangon, Ayeyarwady & Bago Regions, Chaung Tha Beach, Ngwe Saung Beach, Bago, Southeastern Myanmar, Mt Kyaiktiyo, Mawlamyine, Hpa-an, Dawei, Inle Lake, Nyaungshwe, Kalaw, Pindaya, Mandalay Region, Mandalay, Amarapura, Inwa, Sagaing, Mingun, Pyin Oo Lwin, Hsipaw, Bagan & Around, Western Myanmar, Sittwe, Mrauk U, Mt Victoria, Mindat, Kalaymyo, Tiddim, Understand Myanmar, Myanmar Today, History, People & Culture, Environment, Food & Drink, Survival Guide.
You are viewing a Shoestring guideWhat is a Shoestring guide?
Planning a big trip? On a Shoestring guidebooks are created with the budget- and value-conscious traveller in mind. Covering entire continents or very large regions, they’re chock-full of amazing sights and experiences, savvy tips and recommendations. The original Lonely Planet guidebook.
- Inspirational images, illustrated highlights, unrivalled local knowledge
- Help and advice for first-time and big-trip travellers
- Easy-to-use maps help you discover highlights and hidden gems
- Detailed pre-planning, itinerary information and budget advice