Southeast Asia on a Shoestring - Laos (PDF Chapter)
This is the Laos chapter from Lonely Planet’s Southeast Asia on a Shoestring guidebook.
A land of the lotus eaters amid the bloated development of its neighbours, Laos brings to-gether the best of Southeast Asia in one bite-sized destination, and appears as a favourite in many Southeast Asian odysseys.
- experience Luang Prabang, the ancient city of temples that has it all: royal history, Indo-chinese chic, colourful monks, waterfalls, stunning river views and world-class French cuisine
- take a boat ride through exhilaratingly spooky Tham Kong Lo, a 7.5km cave home to fist-sized spiders and stalactite woods
- trek and zip across the forest by day at the Gibbon Experience in Huay Xai, guided by ex-poachers turned forest rangers, and sleep in cosy treehouses at night
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Vientiane, Northern Laos, Vang Vieng, Luang Pra-bang, Nong Khiaw, Muang Ngoi Neua, Phonsavan, Plain of Jars, Sam Neua, Vieng Xai, Northwestern Laos, Udomxai, Luang Namtha, Huay Xai, Central & Southern Laos, Tham Kong Lor & Around, Tha Khaek, Savan-nakhet, Pakse, Champasak, Wat Phu World Heritage Area, Si Phan Don, Don Khong, Don Det & Don Khon, Understand Laos, Laos Today, History, People & Culture, Food & Drink, Environment, Survival Guide.
You are viewing a Shoestring guideWhat is a Shoestring guide?
Planning a big trip? On a Shoestring guidebooks are created with the budget- and value-conscious traveller in mind. Covering entire continents or very large regions, they’re chock-full of amazing sights and experiences, savvy tips and recommendations. The original Lonely Planet guidebook.
- Inspirational images, illustrated highlights, unrivalled local knowledge
- Help and advice for first-time and big-trip travellers
- Easy-to-use maps help you discover highlights and hidden gems
- Detailed pre-planning, itinerary information and budget advice