*Cannot be combined with other offers. No code necessary - make your selections and see the discount at checkout. See terms.
Southeast Asia on a Shoestring - Laos (PDF Chapter)
This is the Laos chapter from Lonely Planet’s Southeast Asia on a Shoestring guidebook.
The ‘Land of a Million Elephants’ oozes magic from the moment you spot a Hmong tribeswoman, trek through rice paddies or hear the call of the endangered gibbon. ‘Old World’ affordable refinement is everywhere, especially in Vientiane and Luang Prabang.
- experience Luang Prabang, the ancient city of temples that has it all: royal history, Indochinese chic, colourful monks, waterfalls, stunning river views and world-class French cuisine
- take a boat ride through exhilaratingly spooky Tham Kong Lo, a 7.5km cave home to fist-sized spiders and stalactite woods
- trek and zip across the forest by day at the Gibbon Experience, guided by ex-poachers turned forest rangers, and sleep in cosy treehouses at night
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Vientiane, Vang Vieng, Luang Prabang, Nong Khiaw, Muang Ngoi Neua, Phonsavan, Plain of Jars, Sam Neua, Vieng Xai, Udomxai, Luang Namtha, Huay Xai, Route 8 to Lak Sao, Tha Khaek & around, Savannakhet, Pakse, Champasak, Si Phan Don (Four Thousand Islands), Understand Laos, Laos Today, History, People & Culture, Food & Drink, Environment, Survival Guide.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.