South Pacific - Rarotonga & the Cook Islands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Rarotonga & the Cook Islands chapter from Lonely Planet’s South Pacific guidebook.
The Cook Islands are simultaneously remote and accessible, modern and traditional. Beyond the island’s tourist buzz and contemporary appearance is a robust culture, firmly anchored by traditional Polynesian values and steeped in oral history.
- snorkel, kayak or paddle-board in the pristine azure waters of Rarotonga’s Muri Lagoon
- trek Rarotonga’s cross-island track, inland trails and valley walks
- feast on the freshest of seafood and organic local produce in Rarotonga’s excellent restaurants
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Rarotonga, Avarua & around, Muri Lagoon, Black Rock, Arorangi, Wigmore’s Waterfall, Muri, Te Vara Nui Village, Aitutaki, Palmerston, ’Atiu, Anatakitaki, Rima Rau, Lake Te Roto, Ma’uke, Mitiaro, Mangaia, Manihiki, Rakahanga, Penrhyn, Pukapuka and Suwarrow.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience