South India & Kerala - Tamil Nadu & Chennai (PDF Chapter)
This is the Tamil Nadu & Chennai chapter from Lonely Planet’s South India & Kerala guidebook.
Tamil Nadu is the homeland of one of humanity’s living classical civilisations, stretching back uninterrupted for two millennia and very much alive today. But this state, with its age-old trading vocation, is as dynamic as it is immersed in tradition.
- soak up the unique Franco-Indian flair and yoga scene of Puducherry (Pondicherry)
- climb into the cool, misty forests of the Western Ghats at Kodaikanal or Ooty
- admire the magnificence of Chola architecture at Thanjavur’s Brihadishwara Temple
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Chennai (Madras), Northern Tamil Nadu, Chennai to Mamallapuram, Mamallapuram (Mahabalipuram), Kanchipuram, Vellore, Tiruvannamalai, Gingee (Senji), Puducherry (Pondicherry), Auroville, Central Tamil Nadu, Chidambaram, Kumbakonam, Thanjavur (Tanjore), Trichy (Tiruchirappalli), Southern Tamil Nadu, Chettinadu, Madurai, Rameswaram, Kanyakumari (Cape Comorin), the Western Ghats, Kodaikanal (Kodai) & around, Coimbatore & around, Kotagiri, Ooty (Udhagamandalam) and Mudumalai Tiger Reserve.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.