South India & Kerala - Tamil Nadu & Chennai (PDF Chapter)
was $4.95 USD
This is the Tamil Nadu & Chennai chapter from Lonely Planet’s South India & Kerala guidebook.
Tamil Nadu is the homeland of one of humanity’s living classical civilisations, stretching back uninterrupted for two. But this deep-South state is as dynamic as it is immersed in tradition. Spectacular temples, throbbing nightlife and serene bohemian yoga retreats; all packed into a state that remains proudly distinct from the rest of India, while also being among the most welcoming.
- Soak up the unique Franco-Indian flair, boho boutiques and lively yoga scene in Puducherry
- escape to the cool, mist-cloaked mountains and heritage hotels at Kodaikanal or Ooty hill stations
- admiring the Chola temple architecture of Brihadishwara Temple in Thanjavur
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Best Places to Sleep, Best Temples, Chennai (Madras), Northern Tamil Nadu, South of Chennai, Mamallapuram (Mahabalipuram), Kanchipuram, Vellore, Tiruvannamalai, Gingee (Senji), Puducherry (Pondicherry), Auroville, Central Tamil Nadu, Chidambaram, Kumbakonam, Thanjavur (Tanjore), Trichy (Tiruchirappalli), Southern Tamil Nadu, Chettinadu, Madurai, Rameswaram, Kanyakumari (Cape Comorin), The Western Ghats, Kodaikanal (Kodai), Around Kodaikanal, Coimbatore, Around Coimbatore, Coonoor, Kotagiri, Ooty (Udhagamandalam), Mudumalai Tiger Reserve, When to Go.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.