South India & Kerala - Maharashtra (PDF Chapter)
This is the Maharashtra chapter from Lonely Planet’s South India & Kerala guidebook.
India’s third-largest and second-most populous state, Maharashtra is an expansive canvas showcasing many of India’s iconic attractions. There are palm-fringed beaches; lofty, cool-green mountains; Unesco World Heritage Sites; and bustling cosmopolitan cities. Explore extraordinary cave temples, lush national parks, spiritual cities and crumbling forts; or simply relax on the beach.
- be amazed by the beauty in the Ellora temple complex
- wander through ancient cave galleries and admire Buddhist art in Ajanta
- search for big cats inside the Tadoba-Andhari Tiger Reserve
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Best Places to Sleep, Northern Maharashtra, Nasik, Around Nasik, Aurangabad, Around Aurangabad, Ellora, Ajanta, Jalgaon, Nagpur, Around Nagpur, Southern Maharashtra, Konkan Coast, Matheran, Lonavla, Karla & Bhaja Caves, Pune, Around Pune, Kolhapur, When to Go.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.