South India & Kerala - Kerala (PDF Chapter)
This is the Kerala chapter from Lonely Planet’s South India & Kerala guidebook.
Kerala is arguably South India’s most serenely beautiful state. This slender coastal strip is shaped by a layered landscape: almost 600km of glorious coast and beaches; a languid network of glistening backwaters; and the spice- and tea-covered hills. It’s as if India had passed through the Looking Glass and become an altogether more laid-back place.
- cruise in a houseboat or punted canoe down backwaters from Alappuzha, Kollam or Kumarakom
- spot wild elephants, trekking and relaxing in remote forest accommodation in Wayanad
- watch the days slip-slide away at the clifftop beach resort of Varkala
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Best Places to Sleep, Southern Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), Around Trivandrum, Kovalam, Varkala, Kollam (Quilon), Around Kollam, Alappuzha (Alleppey), Around Alleppey, Kottayam, Around Kottayam, The Western Ghats, Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, Munnar, Around Munnar, Central Kerala, Kochi (Cochin), Around Kochi, Thrissur (Trichur), Around Thrissur, Northern Kerala, Kozhikode (Calicut), Wayanad Region, Kannur & Around, Bekal & Around, Lakshadweep, When to Go.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.