South India & Kerala - Maharashtra (PDF Chapter)
This is the Maharashtra chapter from Lonely Planet’s South India & Kerala guidebook.
India’s third-largest and second-most populous state, Maharashtra is showcase of many of India’s iconic attractions. There are palm-fringed beaches; lofty, cool-green mountains; Unesco World Heritage Sites; and bustling cosmopolitan cities (and gorgeous vineyards in which to es-cape them).
- be amazed by the intricate beauty in the Ellora temples
- wander through ancient cave galleries and admire sublime ancient Buddhist art at Ajan-ta
- search for big cats inside Tadoba-Andhari Tiger Reserve
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Northern Maharashtra, Nashik & Around, Auranga-bad, Ellora, Ajanta, Jalgaon, Nagpur & Around, Southern Maharashtra, Konkan Coast, Matheran, Lonavla, Pune & Around, Kolhapur, Mahabaleshwar.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation