South India & Kerala - Kerala (PDF Chapter)
This is the Kerala chapter from Lonely Planet’s South India & Kerala guidebook.
For many travellers, Kerala is South India’s most serenely beautiful state. It is defined by its landscape: almost 600km of glorious Arabian Sea coast and beaches; a languid network of glis-tening backwaters; and the spice- and tea-covered hills of the Western Ghats.
- cruise the backwaters from Alappuzha (Alleppey), Kollam (Quilon) or Kumarakom
- spot wild elephants and walk the spice-carpeted hills of Wayanad
- unravel Kochi’s history at Fort Cochin, or laze in its art-filled cafes
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Southern Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) & Around, Kovalam, Varkala, Kollam (Quilon) & Around, Alappuzha (Alleppey), Marari & Kattoor, Kottayam, Kumarakom, Kerala’s Western Ghats, Periyar Tiger Reserve, Munnar & Around, Cen-tral Kerala, Kochi (Cochin) & Around, Thrissur (Trichur) & Around, Northern Kerala, Kozhikode (Calicut), Wayanad Region, Kannur & Around, Bekal & Around, Lakshadweep.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation