South Australia & Northern Territory - Outback South Australia (PDF Chapter)
This is the Outback South Australia chapter from Lonely Planet’s South Australia & Northern Territory guidebook.
If you want to experience Australia’s astoundingly large outback, wheeling into the Flinders Ranges is a great way to start. Further north, the real desert shows its face: a sun-ravaged visage of red sand, spinifex and bullet-straight ribbons of tarmac, running for hundreds of kilometres.
- explore gorgeous gorges and scenic slopes via meandering tracks at Mt Remarkable National Park
- cycle single-track trails then sink a cold beer at the North Star Hotel in Melrose
- check out the Wild West vibes in Quorn
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Flinders Ranges, Southern Ranges, Quorn, Hawker, Flinders Ranges National Park, Blinman & Parachilna, Leigh Creek & Copley, Woomera & Around, Coober Pedy, Oodnadatta Track, Birdsville & Strzelecki Tracks.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.