South America - Suriname (PDF Chapter)
This is the Suriname chapter from Lonely Planet’s South America guidebook.
South America’s smallest country, Suriname is a warm, dense convergence of rivers that thumps with the lively rhythm of ethnic diversity. From Paramaribo, the country’s effervescent Dutch-colonial capital, to the fathomless jungles of the interior, you’ll get a genuine welcome.
- explore Maroon culture, swim in jungle rivers and relax along the epic waterways of vast Upper Suriname River
- drive through jungle and savanna, then canoe to Raleighvallen, to huge Central Suriname Nature Reserve
- stroll along Paramaribo’s Unesco-listed waterfront lined with Dutch colonial architecture and superb restaurants
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes:, Paramaribo, Commewijne River, Upper Suriname River, Brownsberg Nature Reserve & Brokopondo, Central Suriname Nature Reserve, Nieuw Nickerie, Galibi & Coppename Nature Reserves, Understand Suriname, Suriname Today, Histo-ry, Culture, Environment, Survival Guide.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.