South America - Peru (PDF Chapter)
This is the Peru chapter from Lonely Planet’s South America guidebook.
Peru is as complex as its intricate and exquisite weavings. Festivals mark ancient rites, the urban vanguard beams innovation and nature bestows splendid diversity. Visitors flock to glori-ous Machu Picchu, yet this feted site is just a flash in a 5000-year history.
- trek a breathless rite of passage to the awe-inspiring ancient Inca ruins of Machu Picchu hidden in cloud forest
- pound Cuzco’s colonial Andean cobblestone streets, take in historical museums, and trek humbling Inca hillsides
- explore historical Arequipa, surrounded by imposing volcanoes and sunken canyons
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Lima, South Coast, Paracas & the Islas Ballestas, Ica, Huacachina, Nazca & Around, Tacna, Arequipa & Canyon Country, Arequipa, Cañón Del Colca, Lake Titicaca, Juliaca, Puno & Around, Lake Titicaca’s Islands, Cuzco & Around, The Sacred Valley, Aguas Calientes, Machu Picchu, The Inca Trail, Choquequirao, Central Highlands, Aya-cucho, North Coast, Trujillo & Around, Huanchaco, Chiclayo & Around, Piura, Máncora, Huaraz & the Cordilleras, Huaraz, Parque Nacional Huascarán, Northern Highlands, Cajamarca, Chachapoyas, Kuélap, Tarapoto, Amazon Basin, Puerto Maldonado, Parque Nacional Manu, Pucallpa, Yarinacocha, Iquitos, Reserva Nacional Pacaya-Samiria, Understand Peru, Peru To-day, History, Culture, Sports, Arts, Environment, Survival Guide.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience