South America on a Shoestring - Suriname (PDF Chapter)
Suriname is a warm, dense convergence of rivers that thumps with the lively rhythm of ethnic diversity. From Paramaribo, the country’s effervescent Dutch-colonial capital, to the fathomless jungles of the interior, you’ll get a genuine welcome to this tiny country.
- explore Maroon culture, swim in jungle rivers and relax along the Upper Suriname River
- drive 190km through jungle and savanna, then canoe past Maroon villages to Raleighvallen, gateway to the Central Suriname Nature Reserve
- stroll along Paramaribo’s Unesco-listed historic waterfront lined with stately colonial architecture
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Paramaribo, Commewijne River, Brownsberg Nature Reserve, Brokopondo, Upper Suriname River, Central Suriname Nature Reserve, Kabalebo River, Nieuw Nickerie, Galibi & Coppename Nature Reserves, Understand Suriname, Suriname Today, History, Culture, Environment, Survival Guide, When to Go, Connections, Essential Food & Drink, Fast Facts, Exchange Rates, Set Your Budget, Resources.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.