South Africa, Lesotho & Swaziland - Lesotho (PDF Chapter)
This is the Lesotho chapter from Lonely Planet’s South Africa, Lesotho & Swazi-land guidebook.
Lesotho (le-soo-too) is a vastly underrated travel destination. The contrast with South Africa could not be more striking, with the Basotho people’s distinct personality and the terrain’s topo-graphical extremes. Even a few days in Lesotho’s hospitable mountain lodges and trading posts will give you a fresh perspective on Southern Africa.
- stay in a former trading post such as Malealea Lodge for mountain views and authentic vil-lage life
- pony trek or hike through the highlands, staying in traditional Basotho huts
- raise a glass in Southern Africa’s highest pub, perched atop the Sani Pass in Sani Top
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Maseru,Thaba-Bosiu, Ha Baroana, Roma, Morija, Teyateyaneng, Leribe (Hlotse), Butha-Buthe, Ts’ehlanyane National Park, Liphofung Cave, Ox-bow, Mokhotlong, Sani Top, Bokong Nature Reserve, Katse Dam, Thaba-Tseka, Mohale Dam, Semongkong, Malealea, Mafeteng, Mohale’s Hoek, Quthing, Qacha’s Nek and Sehlabathebe National Park.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.