South Africa, Lesotho & Swaziland - Lesotho (PDF Chapter)
This is the Lesotho chapter from Lonely Planet’s South Africa, Lesotho & Swazi-land guidebook.
Lesotho is a vastly underrated travel destination. The contrast with South Africa could not be more striking, with the Basotho people’s distinct personality and the terrain’s topographical ex-tremes. Even a few days in Lesotho’s hospitable mountain lodges and trading posts will give you a fresh perspective on Southern Africa.
- horse ride or hike through breathtaking indigenous forest in Ts’ehlanyane National Park, and rest well at Maliba Lodge
- conquer the world’s highest commercial abseil at Maletsunyane Falls, brag about it on a donkey pub crawl and sleep in a rondavel at Semonkong Lodge
- stay in the former trading post Malealea Lodge for mountain views, pony treks and authen-tic village life
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Maseru, Around Maseru, Thaba-Bosiu, Roma, Morija, Northwestern Lesotho, Teyateyaneng, Leribe, Butha-Buthe, Ts’ehlanyane National Park, North-eastern Highlands, Liphofung Cave Cultural & Historical Site, Oxbow, Mokhotlong, Sani Top, Central Highlands, Bokong Nature Reserve, Katse Dam, Thaba-Tseka, Mohale Dam, Semon-kong, Southern Lesotho, Malealea, Mohale’s Hoek, Quthing, Qacha’s Nek, Sehlabathebe Na-tional Park.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience