South Africa, Lesotho & Swaziland - Johannesburg & Gauteng (PDF Chapter)
This is the Johannesburg & Gauteng chapter from Lonely Planet’s South Africa, Lesotho & Swaziland guidebook.
Gauteng will enthrall you is the throbbing heart of the South African nation and the eco-nomic engine of Africa. Its epicentre is Johannesburg (Jo’burg) ¬- once considered a place to avoid, and now one of the most inspiring and happening metropolises in the world.
- hook up with Southern Africa’s cultural hub in the revamped Johannesburg neighbour-hoods of Newtown, Braamfontein and Maboneng
- revisit South Africa’s chilling history at Jo’burg’s Apartheid Museum and Constitution Hill
- leap off the Orlando Towers in Soweto
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Johannesburg, Soweto, Cradle of Humankind, South-ern Gauteng, Pretoria & around and Cullinan Diamond Mine.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.