South Africa, Lesotho & Swaziland - Johannesburg & Gauteng (PDF Chapter)
This is the Johannesburg & Gauteng chapter from Lonely Planet’s South Africa, Leso-tho & Swaziland guidebook.
Gauteng may be a small province but it also is the economic heart of the nation. Its epicentre is Johannesburg, the country’s largest city and now one of the most inspiring and happening metropolises in the world.
- learn about the horrors of apartheid and viewing splendid contemporary art at Constitution Hill
- cruise around the regenerated inner Jo’burg ’burb of Maboneng, with its street art, galleries and fab Sunday market
- trace South Africa’s tumultuous modern history at the outstanding Apartheid Museum
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Johannesburg, Soweto, Pretoria & Around.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience