South Africa, Lesotho & Swaziland - Free State (PDF Chapter)
This is the Free State chapter from Lonely Planet’s South Africa, Lesotho & Swazi-land guidebook.
A place of big skies and open pastureland, the Free State is ideal for a road trip. It’s well worth exploring for its natural beauty, adventure sports and history - especially Bloemfontein, the birth-place of the African National Congress (ANC).
- unearth little gems among the Free State’s small towns and big skies, such as Clarens, a nugget of sophistication that’s perfect for people-watching
- explore Golden Gate Highlands National Park on foot and spot the wildlife that inhabits the grasslands and spectacular sandstone formations
- follow the Sentinel Hiking Trail up over the dizzying heights of the Drakensberg plat-eau
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Bloemfontein, Parys & Vredefort Dome Area, Kroon-stad & around, Harrismith, Sterkfontein Dam Nature Reserve, Golden Gate Highlands National Park, Phuthaditjhaba, Clarens, Bethlehem, Fouriesburg, Ficksburg, Ladybrand, Gariep Dam Na-ture Reserve and Philippolis.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.