South Africa, Lesotho & Swaziland - Free State (PDF Chapter)
This is the Free State chapter from Lonely Planet’s South Africa, Lesotho & Swazi-land guidebook.
A place of big skies and open pastureland, the Free State is ideal for a road trip. Broad hori-zons are interrupted only briefly by a smattering of towns and villages and, apart from Bloemfon-tein, the urban centres are small and manageable.
- take in the natural beauty and artistry that defines Clarens, Free State’s most sophisticated town
- get intimate with the mountains and rivers of Parys, and standing inside the world’s largest meteorite impact site
- hike among grasslands, spectacular sandstone formations and thriving wildlife in Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Bloemfontein, Northern Free State, Parys & Vredefort Dome Area, Eastern Highlands & Southern Free State, Harrismith, Sterkfontein Dam Nature Re-serve, Golden Gate Highlands National Park, Clarens, Bethlehem, Fouriesburg, Ficksburg, La-dybrand, Gariep Dam Nature Reserve, Philippolis.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.