Slovenia - Southeastern Slovenia & the Krka Valley (PDF Chapter)
This is the Southeastern Slovenia & the Krka Valley chapter from Lonely Planet’s Slovenia guidebook.
This is a region where life slows down considerably – all the better to enjoy meandering rivers and rolling hills covered with forest, orchards and grapevines. Here, villages cluster around church spires, and distinctive toplarji (double-linked hayracks) shelter neat woodpiles.
- embrace local wine culture by touring the flint-stone cave cellars of Bizeljsko-Sremic wine country around the village of Bizeljsko
- goggle at fresco overload within the Knights’ Hall of Brežice’s Posavje Museum
- admire the teensy island village of Kostanjevica na Krki while canoeing on the Krka River before exploring the art that fills the ancient monastery outside town
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Dolenjska, Ribnica & Around, Žužemberk, Dolenjske Toplice, Novo Mesto, Otocec & Around, Bela Krajina, Metlika, Crnomelj, Kolpa Valley, Posavje, Kostanjevica na Krki, Brežice, Bizeljsko-Sremic Wine District.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation