Slovenia - Eastern Slovenia (PDF Chapter)
This is the Eastern Slovenia chapter from Lonely Planet’s Slovenia guidebook.
Eastern Slovenia, embracing three provinces, rises from flat agricultural lands to snow-capped peaks. Its mountains, rivers and thermal waters provide a natural playground, while many of its historic towns date back to Roman times.
Tiny Koroška (Carinthia) is a region of forests, mountains and highland meadows and is tailor-made for outdoor activities, including skiing, mountain biking and hiking.
In the far northeast, Prekmurje is Slovenia’s ‘forgotten’ corner, mostly a broad, farmed plain ‘beyond the Mura River’, which has preserved its culture of traditional music, folklore, architecture and food. It’s a great place to relax and enjoy taking the waters at its many thermal spas.
- wander back through the past via the narrow cobbled streets of medieval Ptuj, the jewel of Štajerska
- enjoy the wonderland (and the uncrowded skiing) that is Rogla in winter
- visit Prekmurje’s last two remaining floating mills on the Mura River near Veržej and Ižakovci
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Štajerska, Upper Savinja Valley, Celje, Šempeter, Kozjansko Region, Rogaška Slatina, Rogatec, Ptuj & around, Maribor, Maribor Pohorje, Central Pohorje Region, Koroška, Slovenj Gradec & around, Prekmurje, Murska Sobota & around, Moravske Toplice and Radenci.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.