Sicily - Western Sicily (PDF Chapter)
This is the Western Sicily chapter from Lonely Planet’s Sicily guidebook.
Sicily’s windswept western coast has beckoned invaders for millennia. Its richly stocked fish-ing grounds, hilltop vineyards and coastal saltpans were coveted by the Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans and Normans, all of whom influenced the region’s landscape and culture.
- contemplate a near-perfect classical temple atop a grassy, wild flower-peppered hillside in Segesta
- gorge on stunning views from Norman Castello di Venere in hilltop Erice
- explore ancient cave art in the Grotta del Genovese on the nature-wild island of Levanzo
Coverage includes: Golfo di Castellammare, Scopello, San Vito Lo Capo, Riserva Naturale dello Zingaro, Castellammare del Golfo, Segesta, Trapani & Around, Erice, Sa-line di Trapani, Egadi Islands, Favignana, Levanzo, Marettimo, Marsala, Mazara del Vallo, Sel-inunte, Pantelleria.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation