Sicily - Syracuse & The Southeast (PDF Chapter)
This is the Syracuse & the Southeast chapter from Lonely Planet’s Sicily guide-book.
Sicily’s southeast is the island at its most seductive. This is the cinematic Sicilia of TV series Inspector Montalbano, a swirl of luminous baroque hill towns, sweeping topaz beaches and ol-ive-laden hillsides.
- explore ancient ruins and the cosmopolitan, labyrinthine streets of Syracuse’s island core
- take in scoops of gelato and swirls of late baroque in Noto, the Val di Noto’s pin-up town
- explore time-warped aristocratic palaces, churches and the office of Inspector Montalbano in Scicli, the Val di Noto’s most authentic, laid-back town
Coverage includes: Syracuse & Around, The Southeast, Valle Dell’Anapo, Ferla & the Necropoli di Pantalica, Palazzolo Acreide, Noto, The Noto Coast, Modica, Scicli, Ra-gusa, Chiaramonte Gulfi.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation