Sicily - Palermo (PDF Chapter)
This is the Palermo chapter from Lonely Planet’s Sicily guidebook.
Palermo is a cryptic creature, a city where nefarious neglect and soul-stirring beauty have always linked arms, where preconceptions are concurrently affirmed and subverted, where light and shade stir impressions that bury deep under your skin.
- bask in Palermo’s multicultural past in Cappella Palatina
- dive into a souk-like torrent of fresh produce at the Mercato di Ballarò
- demand an encore at Teatro Massimo, one of Europe’s grandest opera houses
Coverage includes: Sights, Tours, Festivals & Events, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Around Palermo.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation