Sicily - Ionian Coast (PDF Chapter)
This is the Ionian Coast chapter from Lonely Planet’s Sicily guidebook.
The Ionian Coast is studded with enough Sicilian icons to fill a souvenir tea towel. It’s here that you’ll find the skinny Strait of Messina, mighty Mt Etna and the world’s most spectacularly located ancient Greek theatre.
- hike up Mt Etna, Europe’s tallest active volcano, for surreal moonscapes, views of main-land Italy and a deep, rare silence
- explore Sicily’s hippest city, Catania, from its vibrant bar and restaurant scenes to its ba-roque buildings and boisterous markets
- applaud dramatic panoramas and summer opera at Taormina’s Teatro Greco
Coverage includes: Messina, Punta del Faro, Taormina, Savoca, Catania, Riviera Dei Ciclopi, Acireale, Aci Trezza, Aci Castello, Mount Etna.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation