*Cannot be combined with other offers. No code necessary - automatically added at checkout. See terms.
Sicily - Ionian Coast (PDF Chapter)
This is the Ionian Coast chapter from Lonely Planet’s Sicily guidebook.
The Ionian Coast is studded with enough Sicilian icons to fill a souvenir tea towel. Here you’ll find the skinny Strait of Messina, mighty Mt Etna, World Heritage–listed Catania and the world’s most spectacularly located ancient Greek theatre.
- hike up Mt Etna, Europe’s tallest active volcano for surreal moonscapes, views of mainland Italy and a deep, rare silence
- Explore Catania’s raucous seafood market, World Heritage baroque architecture and thumping bars
- applaud dramatic panoramas and summertime opera at Teatro Greco, Taormina’s ancient Greek theatre
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Messina & around, Punta del Faro, Taormina & around Taormina, Gole Alcantra, Giardini-Naxos, Savoca, Catania, Riviera dei Ciclopi, Acireale, Aci Trezza, Aci Castello and Mount Etna..
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Limited time only. Join the party and get 2 for 1 on absolutely everything.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.