Sicily - Central Sicily (PDF Chapter)
This is the Central Sicily chapter from Lonely Planet’s Sicily guidebook.
Sicily’s wild, empty interior is a beautiful, uncompromising land, a timeless landscape of si-lent, sunburnt peaks, grey stone villages and forgotten valleys. It’s encourages simple pleasures – long lunches of earthy country food, meanders through hilltop towns, quiet contemplation over undulating vistas.
- admire ancient artistry and creativity at Villa Romana del Casale, a decadent Roman villa home to the most extraordinary Roman tile work in existence
- tackle Sicily’s most spectacular staircase in Caltagirone, then stock up on the town’s na-tionally renowned ceramics
- sit on the very steps where ancient Greeks once debated, conspired and gossiped in Mor-gantina
Coverage includes: Enna, Calascibetta, Nicosia, Piazza Armerina, Villa Romana del Casale, Caltagirone.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.