*Cannot be combined with other offers. No code necessary - automatically added at checkout. See terms.
Shanghai - Understand & Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)
All the info you need on everything from history: from backwater to ‘Paris of the East’; socialist citadel to financial megalopolis, to flights, public transport, climate, money, the internet... you name it. Get tips for gay and lesbian travellers and travellers with disabilities. And get the most out of your conversations with a handy language guide and glossary.
- a rundown on the city that cooked up the qípáo (cheongsam) can teach us all a thing or two about aesthetics
- info on whether Shàngh?i is the city of the future, a property bubble waiting to pop or a bit of both?
- full coverage of Shàngh?i’s architecture, which is than just skyscrapers, welcome to one of the art deco capitals of the world
- details on Shàngh?i’s spirituality that goes far deeper than the city’s reverence of Burberry and Chanel
Coverage includes: Shàngh?i Today: Money, Property, Pollution, Ageing Shàngh?i, Growth & Urban density, Shàngh?i vs China and Political Uncertainties, History: Shàngh?i’s Marshy Roots, It All Started with Opium, The Illegitimate Birth of Shàngh?i, Rebellious Youth, ‘Paris of the East’ Reaches Its Peak, The Death of Old Shàngh?i, The People’s Republic, The Nineties & Noughties and The Recent Past, Arts: Visual Arts, Literature, Music, Cinema, Fashion and Martial Arts, Architecture in Shàngh?i: Modern Architecture, Concession Architecture, Lòngtáng & Shíkùmén and Religious Architecture, Religion & Belief: Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Christianity, Islam and Judaism, Transport, Directory A–Z, and Language.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Mix and match on hundreds of guidebooks, ebooks and thousands of digital chapters.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.