Shanghai - French Concession (PDF Chapter)
This is the French Concession chapter from Lonely Planet’s Shanghai guidebook.
The French Concession is Shànghǎi sunny side up; it’s the city at its coolest, hippest and most elegant. Shànghǎi’s erstwhile reputation as the ‘Paris of the East’ owes a big debt to this neighbourhood’s tree-lined avenues, 1920s mansions and French-influenced architecture.
- weave through a forest of shoppers’ elbows in the charming shíkùmén (stone-gate house) warren in Tiánzǐfáng
- shop for fashion and homewares in the boutiques along Xinle and Fumin Roads
- savour home-style Shanghainese cuisine in Jian Guo 328
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping and Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout