Shanghai - Day Trips from Shanghai (PDF Chapter)
This is the Day Trips from Shànghǎi chapter from Lonely Planet’s Shanghai guidebook.
Want to escape the city? This chapter includes the very best excursions from Shanghai and they can each be completed in a day. Must-sees include Hángzhōu and Sūzhōu.
- Hángzhōu’s gorgeous and placid West Lake sits comfortably among China’s top sights
- China’s best-known water town, Sūzhōu is a rewarding bundle of classical gardens, canals, bridges, silk, temples and fab museums
- Tónglǐ is one of Jiāngsū’s best-looking water towns, with a racy museum dedicated to China’s erotic culture
- Zhūjiājiǎo is a quaint canal-side town within Shànghǎi municipality, dotted with temples, ancient bridges and pinched lanes
- Zhōuzhuāng’s lovely traditional architecture, charming back alleys and bridges make this small Jiāngsū town an eye-catching diversion
- Shěshān’s divine views and an imposing hilltop Catholic church, are accessible on the metro from Shànghǎi city centre
Coverage includes: Hángzhōu, Sūzhōu, Tónglǐ, Zhūjiājiǎo, Zhōuzhuāng, Shěshān.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout